Friday, April 23, 2010

In Full Bloom...

Around these parts the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes are in full bloom. I love seeing them along the highways and in people's yards. I even have 2 bluebonnets growing in my front yard (and thank you Chad for not mowing them over).

Dotty has had her pictures made in the bluebonnets every year since her very first spring when she was only 7 months old and Rocky and Delnita Bray let me go in their back yard to snap some pictures of Dotty. Back then the little chunky monkey was almost too chubby to sit up on the blanket while I danced around her taking her picture. Dotty was amazed at the blue flowers with white tops blowing in the wind and she spent most of the time trying to eat the bluebonnets or having a staring contest with the cows that had come up to be an audience for her photo shoot.

The next spring when Dotty was about 18 months old we walked the short distance behind our house to Patti Bray's house (where Patti's Grandmother had lived) and took Dotty's annual "Bluebonnet Pictures" in the side yard (thanks to Patti having spared them from being mowed down by Rocky). That year had its own challenges. Since Dotty was so mobile she had no plans of sitting still for a picture and she really didn't care to being "positioned" in the wooden chair that my grandmother (Mother) had given her. Dotty wanted to run and play and so I was lucky to get a least one good one of her that year.

This year Dotty and I once again headed just across our yard to Patti's grandmother's house. The bluebonnets were growing wild in the front of the house which was a good thing since Patti is off at school and Rocky mowed over the patch of bluebonnets in the side yard. The bluebonnets were beautiful and so thick. I just knew I would get tons of gorgeous pictures from Dotty this year...I was clearly mistaken.

Try telling a 2 and a half year old that it is against the law to pick the state flower...Dotty is apparently not too concerned about her "permanent record" at this point in life...either that or she is confident she can get out of a ticket with her blue eyes and sweet smile. I spent the entire 30 minute process trying to keep Dotty from trampling all the bluebonnets down as she made her own personal parade through the patch and telling her to "stop picking the pretty flowers!"

Recently my mom (Grandma) has taught Dotty how to pick dandelions and blow them. So now Dotty thinks all flowers will "blow". Those poor bluebonnets did not stand a chance in the chubby hands of a 2 year old. Oh well...we did get a couple of really cute ones and I have the memories of the photo shoot which I cherish more than the actual pictures.

As a side note...I went back a few days later and the bluebonnets seemed to have rebounded fine...the patch was full as ever and you could not even tell Dotty had been right in the middle of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment