Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Long Time Ago...In a Land Far Far Away...

Dotty LOVES to tell stories before she goes to bed at night. She wants me to tell her a story, she wants to tell a story, and (according to Brittany) she wants Daddy to tell her about 5 stories (he is such a sucker...most daddies to little girls are though).
Last night Dotty started her story in the way she always does...
"A long time ago...in a land far, far away..."
And then she added...
"Past China, and Egypt, and even past Las Vegas!"
I died laughing...I don't even know where Dotty hears the names to half these places. I know "Kai-Lan" is from China and occasionally the "Little Einsteins" and "Diego" have visited Egypt, but I doubt any Disney or NickJr character has been to Las Vegas...if so I missed that episode.

Then Dotty told a story that sort of made the hairs on my arms stand up. She practically told the story of the the "Tower of Babel" from the Bible. And the reason why I know this is because I have been trying to read a little bit of the Bible every day...some days I do better than others...and the night before last I read the "Tower of Babel" story in Genesis.

Dotty told her story about people building a tower up to the sky but that God (and she added his friend the "Giant") did not want people in Heaven because they would destroy it...so God threw dust on people so they couldn't talk to each other anymore and they stopped building the tower.

I promise to you...that is what she said!!! I would not have believed it if I had not heard it with my own ears. Now I don't know what all stories Dotty has heard in her Sunday school class or what Nana has told her or what they talk about at her school...but when I was growing up we heard about Noah, Adam and Eve, the burning bush, the parting of the sea, Mary and Joseph, and Jesus...healing blind men, making the lame walk, and of course being killed, buried, and rising from the dead...but I don't remember hearing much about the Tower of Babel...at least not until I got older.

When Dotty finished...I didn't say a word. She asked, "Did you like that story Mommy?"
I said "Yes honey...I sure did." I said it in almost a whisper.

Then I said a prayer...thanking God for all the wonder on this Earth...and especially for the little wonder that was falling asleep beside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment