Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Red, Rojo, Stop...

Dotty's class at school today took a walking "field trip" to the fire station which is just about a block or two away from school. When I picked Dotty up I asked her how her day had gone...as usual she said she "had a wonderful day". I asked her if she got to go outside...she said "yes". I asked her if she went for a walk with the class...she said "yes". I asked her if she went to the fire station...she said "yes". I asked her if she saw a big truck...she said "yes".

Now at times I cannot get this kid to stop talking and I really thought that we would not hit the one word answers about "how was your day at school" until at least junior high but apparently my 2 year old was channeling her future 13 year old self and was in no mood to "talk to mommy".

Finally I asked Dotty "what color was the truck" as I was buckling her into her car seat and without taking her eyes off the "Wiggles" on the car's DVD player she said "Red, Rojo, Stop". I stopped and stared at my little one. I was confused, amazed, and trying not to laugh out loud all in the same moment.

I took a breath and told Dotty that it was very good that she knew the truck was red and in Spanish red is said rojo and the color red can also mean for people to stop. She just looked at me like "Duh, Mom".

As I got in my seat to drive away I smiled to myself. What a wonderful world it must be to a 2 year old...where everything is black and white or red (or rather...negro y blanco o rojo).

No comments:

Post a Comment