Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sleeping Beauty...

I love watching Dotty sleep. She looks so peaceful and so calm and quite frankly just so beautiful.

I just wish Dotty slept more!

Since birth Dotty has not been a good sleeper...at least not for me! She resists naps like they are the plague and nights are the absolute worst. I can remember only one night when Dotty was just a few weeks old that she actually "slept through the night". On that particular night Tony and I had got home late...probably from a basketball game or something...and Dotty had fallen asleep in her car seat. So I...knowing you should never wake a sleeping child...offered to sleep on the couch with Dotty asleep in her car seat on the floor beside me until she woke up. I assumed this would be in about an hour or two but low and behold that little toot slept the entire night (while I woke up every hour to make sure she was still breathing).

Other than that night Dotty is known to wake up as few as 3 times or as many as every 45 minutes. Now she is never awake long...she just demands her sippy cup and usually gets her diaper changed and then it is back off to dreamland but you try to wake up every 45 minutes each night for the past 2.5 years and see how you feel.

I am sooooo tired!

This week has been really bad at night. Usually I get one or two nights of Dotty only waking up about 3 times but this week every night has been the every 45 minutes to an hour of her waking up. Luckily we stayed the night with Memaw on Tuesday so I did get some sleep that night or I would be a zombie today.

Last night I got a total of 4.5 hours of sleep and mind you these were not all done at once. I got to sleep for 1.5 hours...then Dot woke up...then I got 2 hours...then Dot woke up...then I got 1 hour...and I have been awake since 4am! Someone help me!!!

I know my child is addicted to her sippy cup like it is a bottle or a pacifier (or even some type of illegal drug) but even kids who still take pacifiers at this age sleep through the night! I have tried sleeping with her, staying with her until she falls asleep, letting her cry in her bed (although since she is in a regular bed now and not confined to a crib she just gets out of bed and comes in my room and cries). I have tried having a quiet room, a room with noise, a totally dark room, a night light, a warm room, a cool room, sleeping with a toy, sleeping with almost 100 toys...nothing has worked so far.

I know someday she will sleep...I pray for that day to come sooner rather than later! Pray for me! I believe in the power of prayer and at this point I am turning it over to God (I probably should have done that a lot sooner). Every night Dotty and I pray and thank God for the day, our friends and family, and for His Son and we ask him to help us have a safe night and a good day tomorrow...I think now I am going to throw in a good night's sleep! I know not all prayers are answered but it couldn't hurt to ask!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment