Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Wow...Time to Recap...

So a lot has happened in the last couple of weeks. We will just have to start from the beginning and go from there. Here we go...

May 20th,
Dotty had a "Moving On Ceremony" at her school. The celebration included a picnic with family and friends. Dotty got to walk across the gazebo at the school's park and get her certificate. At that point Dotty exclaimed "I won!" Tony, Nana, Memaw, Jake, Keri (Presley also got to "Move On"), and I were all there with videos and cameras to capture the entire event. I am not sure Dotty understood the significance of the day but it was sweet, touching, and at times I had to fight back a tear or two...my baby is growing up.

That same day I closed on a house for Dotty and me. The house is in Wichita Falls and is very close to Memaw (which thrills Dotty) and is handy for both Dotty's school and the Pecan Shed. I spent several days painting the inside (thanks to the help of a lot of family and friends the job went by much faster than I originally thought). Dotty and Presley even did some painting too (then the adults did some clean up).

While I was painting and getting the house ready Dotty spent a lot of time with Tony. One of their adventures included a trip to the Fort Worth Zoo (Nana went too) and I heard they had a great time. Dotty told me all about the monkeys and the lions! I am glad they got to go before it started hitting 100 degrees on a regular basis.

May 24th,
Dotty started in a new classroom at her school. She is now in Mrs. Connel's 3 year old classroom. The transition was a little hard. Dotty really missed Ms. Taylor and while she likes playing on the "big playground" she is still too little to do much without help. She is getting better though. I think sometimes it is harder on me. I have to remind myself that allowing Dotty to go through a few "tough-ish" times will make her a stronger adult. She will learn to handle problems in a good way and she will be okay when life does get tough. I always want to smooth out Dotty's path (just like every parent wants to do for their child) but I try to resist the need at times. Dotty will learn to swing on her own, she will learn to make new friends, she will learn to be a big girl...she will just have to keep trying along the way.

May 27th,
Dotty and I spent the first night in our new home (Memaw stayed too). About all that was ready was Dotty's "Doll Room" (a tribute to Kathy's Doll Room), Dotty's room, a few tv's had dvd players hooked up and we had a lot of boxes sitting around.

Since then we have less boxes and more furniture but it will still take a while to get completely settled in. Dotty is happy though. She has her toys, her movies, and her Memaw visits a lot (I think I may have to enroll Dotty is some sort of "Memaw detox" or something...this girl is getting addicted).

Now that I have more time (and less to move) I hope to post again more regular. Hope you all have had a great start to your summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment