Tuesday, July 27, 2010

3 Year Old Used Car Salesman...

Have you ever noticed how small children (or maybe any child...if it is your child regardless of age) and a used car salesman have a lot in common? Now Dotty is not quite 3 but she is awfully close and while I have never had to deal with a used car salesman I have seen plenty of stereotypes in movies and on tv so I feel I can make a pretty good comparison here.

Example #1: Both Dotty and a used car salesman (let's call him "Al" just to shorten my typing load here) don't know what the word "no" truly means. Both Dotty and Al feel that the word "no" is just my way of asking for more options.

Dotty: Can I stay up and watch Kai-lan?
Me: No. It is past your bed time.
Dotty: Okay can I stay up and watch Blues Clues?

Apparently Dotty thought that I had an objection to Kai-lan and might prefer to watch a blue dog when really I had an objection to the hour in which Kai-lan came on at night.

Al: Would you like to test drive the sedan?
Me: No thank you.
Al: Okay well lets put you in this Ford Pinto and see how you like it.

Example #2: Both Dotty and Al have no concept of discretionary income or how I prefer to spend mine.

Dotty: I love my Belle dress, my Cinderella dress, and my Snow White dress but I don't have an Ariel dress. Will you go to the store and buy me one?
Me: I don't know if I can find an Ariel dress and maybe we should wait and you might get it for your birthday.
Dotty: No. I need it now. Can you go to the store today?

Of course if Dotty did get an Ariel dress she would also need matching shoes and accessories. She would also prefer Prince Eric if Walmart happens to have one of those too.

Al: The car you drove up in looks fine but I think you would look great in this Ford Pinto.
Me: I really don't know if I can buy a car right now. I might have to wait a while.
Al: Let's come inside and see if we can get you some financing.

Example #3: Both Dotty and Al make unique clothing choices.

Dotty dressed herself for school today in her princess pajama top, a denim skirt, tights she got to wear for Valentines Day that are covered in hearts, and of course her Belle high heels with a "plain" crown (this crown she refers to as plain because it just has sequins on it and no rhinestones or feathers...glad to know she doesn't want to seem over dressed for daycare).

Al dresses in a pale green leisure suit (showing way too much chest hair of course) with white cowboy boots and a cowboy hat with feathers that would make Burt Reynolds "Smokey and the Bandit" character jealous.

This was all done as way of me saying that some nights when I have finally get Dotty to bed and I have a moment to myself I start to think...I might look good driving a Ford Pinto. Then I realize I am just delirious with exhaustion and head in one last time to check on Dotty...I am not sure but in the darkness I swear she is wearing a green leisure suit and a smile.

Dotty and Al are good!

No comments:

Post a Comment