Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Love/Hate Relationship

Dotty and her cousin Presley have a "love/hate" relationship. They always say they want to see each other and they usually are thrilled to be around each other for at least 5 or 10 seconds...then all heck breaks loose.

They fuss...they fight...they drive everyone around them nuts!

But when it is time to go...they cry that they don't want to leave each other.

It is really quite frustrating.

I feel for both Presley and Dotty in different ways.

Presley is 6 and Dotty is 4 so of course Dotty wants to do EVERYTHING Presley does...and wants to dress like Presley, eat what Presley is eating...she is even mad here lately because Presley has started losing her teeth and she hasn't.

I have a cousin that is 4 years younger than me and I can remember when Tracey wanted to dress like me and tried to copy everything that I did. It was very annoying for a young kid...however...we grew up to be very close as we got older...and she was the closest thing I had to a little sister. So I know someday Dotty and Presley will (more than likely...keep your fingers crossed) feel that way too about each other.

On the other hand, I can see where Presley at times does stuff to Dotty just to make her mad...which is EXACTLY what Jake used to do to me growing up and I HATED it! In fact...Jake and I spent a good 4 or 5 years barely speaking to each other when we were growing up because all we did was fight! So I feel sorry for Dotty in that respect.

To compound the problem...both girls are only children...and spoiled (yep...I know mine is spoiled rotten). They are not used to having to share toys, time, or attention (especially Memaw's).

I can only hope that as Dotty's little sister Dylann gets older Dotty will learn what it is like to be the "older" one and will cut Presley some slack. I also hope time will make things better.

What I do know is that when Dotty and Presley are around each other for any amount of time I require earplugs, prayers for patience...and perhaps some time alone for me to destress!

No comments:

Post a Comment