Monday, December 26, 2011

The Real Meaning of Christmas...

Christmas Eve...Dotty said, "Tonight is the night Jesus was born."

"Yes it is," I said.

Then Dotty asked, "Did you know Jesus died for you and me?"

"Yes I did," I said with a catch in my throat.

Dotty went on to say..."He died so we could go to Heaven. Wasn't that nice of him? I am going to tell him thank you when I get to Heaven."

I couldn't say a word...I just nodded and hugged her close to me. I was so touched by my precious baby girl. Her Nana and her Sunday School teachers have done a good job at teaching my child what is the real meaning of Christmas truly is...and I need to do a better job of teaching her too. Even though I think she is so young to understand it all...she really does understand more than I give her credit for and now is the time to really work at creating a strong foundation in her belief system.

I knew on Christmas morning that Dotty would be overwhelmed with new toys and gifts of all kinds but I was so glad that on the Eve of Christ's birth Dotty took a moment to remind me of what Christmas is really all about.

Sometimes in life our children truly are our best teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment