Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dotty's Doll Room


The house that Dotty and I live in is an older home. It has a room that was meant to be a "formal dining area". Since Dotty and I don't do too much formal dining, (we usually don't even sit at the kitchen table to eat but rather have "picnics" in front of the tv) I made that room the place to store 90% of Dotty's toys (8% are in her bedroom, 1% is in her bathroom, and the other 1% is lost).

Originally I called this room the "Toy Room". I had a toy room growing up and I know lots of people that have toy rooms (some have entire homes that could be considered toy rooms) but Dotty has always called this room "The Doll Room".

I love that she calls it that and I now call it that too (even though it at times confuses the little kids that come to play with Dotty). While Dotty does not have an abundance of dolls (trust me she has plenty though) and very few dolls are "for display only" she calls it the The Doll Room because she fell in love with just such a room when she was barely one-year old.

Kathy, who was the first non-blood relative to keep Dotty, has the best Doll Room. I was amazed the first time I saw it. She has such a collection of dolls, toys, books, games and so much more that I was jealous Dotty got to play all day in such a fun room.

Kathy is a retired teacher and while she "played" with Dotty all day long she really taught Dotty so much. I was amazed at the things Dotty came home saying and singing and all because she learned it while "playing" with Kathy. (Dotty still loves to sing today and I know that is partly due to all the songs she and Kathy would sing together.)

Since Dotty and I moved, we don't get to see Kathy and Gary as much but I am so thankful for the time, love, and support they gave to me and Dotty. Kathy is truly an adopted grandmother to Dotty and both she and Gary will always have a special place in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment