Monday, August 16, 2010

Dotty's First Day of School...

Don't let the title fool you. Dotty did not start a new daycare "school" and she is not already old enough to go to kindergarten but that day is coming sooner than I want it to...hence the post title.

Dotty and I live across from a school that did have students start today and as I watched parents drive up and drop off their children in new clothes, with new backpacks, and big smiles (some not so big smiles) on their faces I was so happy to think of the day when I will get Dotty all dressed and ready for her first day of kindergarten. Helping her pick out the perfect backpack and lunch box. Then selecting the right "back to school" outfit. Doing her hair and talking about all the fun things she will do at her new school. It all seemed like so much fun.

Then a car passed me and I saw a mother crying and I immediately burst into tears myself. My baby is growing up too fast! Before I know it she will be going to kindergarten, then junior high, then high school, then off to college and I just can't stand it (to quote Memaw)!

One of my favorite sayings is "the days are long but the years are short" and today reminded me just how true that is.

I don't know why the lady was crying in the car. I assume she was just feeling what a lot of parents feel when they watch their children grow up....pride, happiness, and a little bit of sadness too. It really is a selfish thing to want to keep our children little forever but if I could I would keep Dotty just like she is now...(especially since she is almost 100% potty trained...she still wears diapers at night). Of course I have thought every stage so far has been "the best" stage so I am sure all the ones to come will be just as wonderful in their own way.

To all the moms that have or will send their "babies" off to school soon I am sending you out some love and strength...mainly because I am going to need all the help I can get when I have to do the same thing with Dotty just a few short years from now!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment