Thursday, August 12, 2010

God has perfect timing...and a sense of humor!

Yesterday I stayed home with Dotty to spend some time with her. I often feel like during the week I just get the "we gotta go" time. In the mornings "we gotta go" get ready for school. In the evenings "we gotta go" eat dinner, take a bath, and get ready for bed. All these activities can be fun but are usually on a time table and end up just seeming like chores rather than "play time". Plus, I am also in "gotta go" mode myself during these times. I "gotta go" to work, "gotta go" do the laundry, wash dishes, put sheets on beds (again), etc.

So one day a week I try to just hang out with Dotty. No schedules too much. No plans. I always look forward to the day but I also tend to stress out too. When I try to "plan fun" it once again puts us in "we gotta go" mode...exactly what I was trying to avoid.

For instance, yesterday I thought I would take Dotty swimming over at Memaw's. Well we needed to be there before it got too hot and before Memaw needed to leave for work. After that I had the problem of getting Dotty to leave Memaw's apartment (because life is good there). Then I had trouble getting Dotty to take a nap (which she never did). I even drove to Electra trying to get that girl to fall asleep and she never caved.

On the way back home I was feeling frazzled and defeated and like a pretty crappy mom when Dotty said she needed to poop. I have a portable potty in my car that Dotty likes to use so I offered to pull over and let her go. The minute I found an exit on Hwy 287 I pulled over and when I put the car in park...Dotty said she didn't need to poop. I asked her about 5 times to make sure and then continued on our way home.

About 5 miles from the house Dotty informed me that she didn't need to poop because she had already pooped...in her pants. I was not pleased. I told her that was going to be a mess. That I had asked her if she needed to potty. That we have a potty in the car for that reason and that I was going to have to throw away her pants (that she loved) since she pooped in them.

Of course my child then says "I didn't poop in my pants."

Due to the fact I now had a poopy fibber in my car I mumbled under my breath..."Heaven help me."

Less than a second later Dotty said "Mommy?"

I looked at her in my rear view mirror...

Then she said "I love you."

Heaven did help me. God knew that was just what I needed to hear. He knew I was hanging on for life to the end of the "good mother" rope. He knew I felt like a huge failure and he wanted to know that I hadn't failed...at least not in Dotty's eyes. I strive for perfection but Dotty just wants her mommy...imperfections and all.

He also knew that when we made it home and I carefully pulled Dotty out of her seat she had in fact not pooped in her pants. We ran inside to go potty.

Of course here is where the sense of humor comes in...

Not five minutes later while I was unpacking the car Dotty came to show me "something"...never a good sign. Well that "something" was poop (yes more of it...apparently she had to go again) that was all over her potty seat, all over the floor, Dotty's clothes and (of course) her hands.

Funny God. Real funny.

Now I have no doubts that had this happened before "Heaven helped me" I would have lost it...completely. But since God had shown me the love of my little girl I was able to be patient and calm and cleaned up the mess and Dotty without one raised voice or one tear (from either of us).

Thank God...

No comments:

Post a Comment