Saturday, October 30, 2010

What Do You Call Your Grandma???

My grandmother (my mom's mother) is loving referred to as "Mother" by almost all her grandchildren (only my cousin Will calls her Grandma) and now Presley and Dotty call her Mother (sometimes it sounds like Mudder) too.

Memaw and Mother went to school yesterday to pick up Dotty and Presley. Mom said the look on the teachers' faces were priceless when they heard Dot and Pres calling out "Mohter" to a lady with white hair.

Jake and I had that problem too growing up. Mother would take us all over town and we would constantly be calling out "Mother" and getting strange looks from those standing within earshot.

Children have always come up with unique and often strange names for grandparents. I know of a few...

Tony's grandpa is called Gang.
The McGhee girls had a grandfather named Honey...he was also called that by his children and some people around town.
Presley calls her other grandparents Pretty and Poppee.
I know a pair of ladies...one was called Gommer...the other Gammer.
I have also heard of a grandfather called Diddle Dee.

I personally love that Dotty calls her great-grandmother "Mother". I would not have it any other way...and neither would Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment