Saturday, February 5, 2011

24 Hour Room Service



Dotty has, on numerous occasions, mistaken me for "hotel room service". Many times in the night she will wake up wanting something to eat, something to drink, another blanket, another pillow, etc.

The other night though I finally had enough.

Dotty woke up at 4am and said she wanted watermelon.

(Side Note...I know many of you would just tell her "tough cookies", but I hate to deny Dotty food. She has been so skinny for so long that I really don't like to tell her "no" to food requests. Plus she comes by this need to eat at night genetically...my mom is a the queen of night eating.)

I went to the kitchen to make her a bowl of watermelon and when I returned she was sound asleep. I took the bowl of watermelon back to the refrigerator.

At 5am she woke up and said she wanted cantaloupe "straight up"...which in Dotty lingo means "cantaloupe only"...no other fruits mixed in.

I went to get her a bowl of cantaloupe and when I returned she was sound asleep. I took the cantaloupe back and put it in the refrigerator next to the watermelon.

At 6:30 Dotty woke up saying she was hungry. I told her the waitress's shift was over and she would have to go to the kitchen and get something to eat herself.

Dotty asked me what the waitress's name was. I smiled and said "Sally". (It is hard not to find humor in a child's innocence. Dotty had no idea I was being sarcastic out of exhaustion and a little bit of frustration.)

Dotty went to the refrigerator and found two bowls of fruit. She wanted pizza. Now I was tempted to tell her to make it herself but the thought of exploding pizza in the microwave made me rethink that option.

Dotty sat happily watching her morning cartoons and eating her pizza. When we went to bed that night Dotty said her prayers. She thanked God for flowers, princesses, Mommy, Daddy, and Sally.

No comments:

Post a Comment