Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wedding Woes...



Dotty lately has been saying she will be sad when her daddy and I get married. I was so confused at to what she meant and why she started saying such things. She has even asked her Nana if she will take care of her when her mommy and daddy get married.

Finally I had to ask Dotty why she thought such a thing. I wanted to know why she thought either of her parents were getting married and why she thought something bad would happen to her if we did.

I asked her, "What happens when two people get married?"
Dotty's reply, "You have to stand on a cake."

Hmmm...oh yes...in the movie "The Little Mermaid" when Eric is going to marry Vanessa there are little figures of the two on the cake.

So I asked her, "Why do you think you will have to live somewhere else if Mommy or Daddy got married?"
Her answer, "Because Ariel had to leave her daddy and she didn't have a mommy."

Well yes...in the movie you never hear about Ariel's mommy and Ariel does become a human to marry Prince Eric. She has to leave her daddy because she can't live with the "merfolk" anymore.

I tried to explain all this to Dotty. I am not sure my message got through though. For now I am banning "The Little Mermaid" from our video selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment