Thursday, June 9, 2011

Making a Mountain Out of a Mullet

I love the saying I heard an ESPN radio guy say once..."A person's true character comes out when everything is going wrong." I tend to believe that. I also tend to panic at times as a mother.

Many times I make mountains out of molehills...as the old saying goes. However, last night I was pretty proud of myself.

Jeri came over to eat with me and Dotty. Dotty is crazy about Jeri and vice versa. While Jeri and I were visiting at the dinner table, Dotty was eating a Popsicle and watching a Barbie movie. Dotty then came in the kitchen to get her safety scissors from the drawer.

Now I know what many of you are thinking but I was a hawk with Dotty when she first started using scissors and now I felt like she knew what to cut and what not to cut.

Good thing I can admit when I am wrong.

Dotty took the scissors into her room. Yes...a warning flag went up but I try to not hover over Dotty. I was going to give her a few minutes then check on her. Well five minutes was all that girl needed to cut roughly half her hair off...the front half.

Dotty had given herself a mullet-type haircut.

Now the look on my face I am sure was priceless. But I did not yell. I did not get mad. Dotty...knowing she is not supposed to cut any hair...hers or others...ran back to her bedroom crying.

I followed and explained that I was not mad. I told her we would have Lynsey fix it the next day. And then I reminded Dotty that we do not cut our own hair. Mommy does not cut her own hair. Memaw does not cut her own hair. Daddy doesn't. Brittany doesn't. (I almost added Nana to the mix...but that would have been a lie.)

I told Dotty that Lynsey went to school to learn how to cut hair and that is why Memaw and Mommy let Lynsey cut our hair. After a few more minutes of crying (Dotty...not me...I did hold it together) and then playing "Angry Birds" on Jeri's phone (again...Dotty...not me)...Dotty seemed okay and the rest of the night went by fine.

Today for school Dotty wore what was left of her long hair up in a ponytail with LOTS of clips to hold up the shorter sides.

Wish Lynsey luck tonight as she tries to fix Dotty's home haircut!

I promise to post pics soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment