Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Day 2 - Not as Much Excitement

Day two of school was not met with as much excitement as day one. In fact, with less than 30 minutes before we needed to be walking out the door, Dotty was refusing to get dressed, eat breakfast, or let me do her hair. She was complaining of a headache (I am beginning to think I say that I have one too much to her...although I have had some horrible migraines this summer...lack of rain I am sure).

After I calmly counted to ten, I pointed out to Dotty that in order for her to get a blue snow cone AFTER school...she had to actually GO to school. I am not sure how this bribe will work when the snow cone stands close down for the winter. But for today it got her up and moving...s-l-o-w-l-y...but moving nonetheless.

Of course when we got to Mrs. Grace's class I could barely get a hug goodbye.

As I walked down the hall I heard all the crying and tears of the 2 and 3 year olds who were going to school for the first time. It reminded me of Dotty's first few days when she was 2 and started at this school. Those days were hard ones...on her and me.

While I am glad she does not cry and hang on to my leg anymore...there is a part of me that is sad that she is growing up so fast. Before I know it she will be heading out to Kindergarten, then Junior High, then High School, then College...it will all happen in the blink of an eye.

So tomorrow if she is moving sort of slow and wants to dance to one more song before we leave...instead of demanding that she get in the car...I plan to just dance and know that all too soon the song will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment