Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Marketing Genius

I took a lot of Marketing classes in college. I have even used some tricky techniques a time or two to entice my customers to buy things at my store. I also think that my knowledge of marketing strategies makes me a better consumer. However, Dotty is so innocent that she is easy prey for toy marketers.

For this exact reason I do not let Dotty watch Nick on t.v. All morning long they have commercials running for toys and games and everything else any child from the age of 8 months to 8 years old would love to have.

Today I wasn't paying that close of attention and I just say "Dora" on my t.v. guide. I turned it on for Dotty and left the room. Three seconds later I was being summoned into the living room with a "Hurry! Hurry! You are going to miss it!" cry from my sweet child.

What I was about to miss was an add for a toy...it was furry, it barked or purred, it drank real water and really made a mess on the floor (if you failed to take it out for a walk)...you get the idea. Dotty wanted one of each. My first thought was "no way"...my second thought was "who has a grudge against parents so bad they would create this toy"...and my third thought was "a marketing genius".

I simply told Dotty we would see about the toy. Before I could find the remote to change the channel, two more commercials came on and Dotty NEEDED both toys...asap...PLEASE! (At least she remembers her manners when she is demanding things.)

One toy was a toy set that had no less than 100 small pieces and if you lost even one of them the whole set would not work...of course batteries were not included.

The other toy was a pirate type thing...clearly geared toward boys...but as Dotty told me...she was open to playing with all types of toys...not just girl ones.

I changed the channel as fast as I could. God love Nick Jr. and those who created it. NO COMMERCIALS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment