Thursday, September 22, 2011

Butterfly Bye Byes



Yesterday Memaw and Dotty caught two butterflies at Memaw's house. Dotty was determined to keep them as pets. When we got home though, I told Dotty that butterflies were meant to be free to fly around and spread their wings. They were not meant to be kept in a jar and stared at...no matter how pretty they were.

Reluctantly, Dotty let the butterflies go...and she cried for a few minutes. It was sad for her to let her new friends fly free. I told her we could catch some more the next day, look at them for a little while, and then let them go too...but Dotty was not thrilled to hear about this "catch and release" program I had in mind.

However, like a lot of 4 year olds, Dotty was soon on to another project. I had bought a lot of pumpkins and Dotty forgot all about the butterflies as she found the perfect spot for each pumpkin.

Watching Dotty struggle to let go of the pretty butterflies reminded me of my struggles to let Dotty spread her wings in this world. As a parent, a part of me wants to keep my beautiful baby in a glass jar where nothing bad can ever hurt her, but I realize that Dotty was not meant to be confined...she was meant to fly. In fact, that girl was meant soar.

They say if you love something you have to let it go. As parents that is so hard to do. I love Dotty so much that a part of me wants her to never grow up and "fly away" but then again when I see her spread her wings and soar...I am so proud of my beautiful butterfly girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment