Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Big Brother...Big Voice

Jake and I have always approached life very differently. For those of you who think I have a short fuse and a loud voice...you have not seen anything until you have seen my brother. Growing up, I learned that Jake's bark was way worse than his bite...but I also steered clear of his teeth...so to speak.

I try not to yell at Dotty for every little thing. I try to talk to her and give her choices. I do occasionally raise my voice, but I try to keep that at a minimum. Especially when it is just the two of us, all I have to do is give her a knowing look and she usually does as she is told.

Of course, when Memaw is around all bets are off.

Last night, Memaw brought Presley and Dotty over to Jake and Keri's house where I was planning on getting Dotty and taking her home. Memaw wanted to go for a walk, so she was leaving shortly after getting the girls squared away. Presley kissed Memaw goodbye...Dotty hung on to Memaw for dear life.

Just as I was calmly telling Dotty to let go of Memaw, Jake (who was standing only about 2 feet away from Dotty) told Dotty to let go of Memaw....NOW! He told her to do this in a rather loud and scary voice...at least it seemed that way to Dotty.

The look on Dotty's face was one of pure fear...and she went running and sobbing to me. Memaw left very quickly (she is not a fan of the girls crying...for any reason). Jake, of course, did not like to see Dotty cry, but he also didn't know what she was so upset about. That is the volume and tone he uses with everyone...Presley, Keri, Mom, Dad, me...everyone. Jake wasn't mad, he was just wanting Dotty to do what she was being asked.

I calmed Dotty down. She wanted to leave that minute. Jake tried to hug her but Dotty would have nothing to do with him.

After only about 30 seconds, Presley asked Dotty if she wanted to watch a movie and Dotty (wiping away tears and snot) nodded her head slowly. A half hour later I was having to make Dotty leave...she didn't want to. She was having too much fun with her uncle Jake and cousin Presley.

While I have no doubt Dotty remembers that Jake "yelled" at her, I also know that Dotty knows he wasn't trying to be mean to her...he was wanting her to do as she was being told. I am glad to say that the evening ended with hugs and kisses all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment