Thursday, March 3, 2011

Twirling

There are moments in Dotty's life that take me back to my childhood. I love them and they make me sad all at the same time. More than anything though I am glad I have those memories and I am glad Dotty (in some ways at least) takes after me.

Last night Dotty put on her "Tangled" nightgown that is very long and flowy. I was already laying on her bed getting ready to call it a night and Dotty stood in the floor beside the bed and started to turn...then she did it again...and again...and again.

She was twirling.

All at once I went back in time to my Grandma's living room. I was in a new dress (made by Tony's grandma Mary McGhee) that was a pink and white gingham dress with a white pinafore...and I was twirling.

That was the only way I knew whether or not I liked the dress...it all depended on how well it twirled. To this day I still from time to time put on a dress and twirl around in it. My prom dress my senior year was a good "twirling" dress...and I loved it for mainly that reason...at 18 years old I still loved to twirl. I don't wear many dresses anymore but if I do have a flowy one one for some occasion you can bet money on it...I still twirl around for a few turns in my bedroom.

Dotty gets her love of twirling from me (thank goodness she doesn't get it from Tony...we might have issues then). Last night, even though it was past her bed time, I let Dotty twirl until she got dizzy. I sat there smiling and only a few tears came to my eyes.

I am sure her Great-Grandma Montz was smiling too...another generation will continue to love a dress simply for how well it "twirls".

No comments:

Post a Comment