Wednesday, March 30, 2011

First Swim Lesson




Dotty had her first swim lesson yesterday with Ms. Sylvia. Dotty was super excited and I was super HOT (note to self...heated indoor pools feel good when you are in the water in your bathing suit...they do not feel good when you are outside the pool in UGG boots and two layers of shirts!).

Ms. Sylvia had Dotty blow bubbles on the steps at first but soon Dotty was asking to go "swimming". So Ms. Sylvia grabbed a water noodle and off they went. I couldn't hear everything Ms. Sylvia was telling Dotty but the big smile on Dotty's face was all I needed to know that everything was going well.

After about 15 minutes, Ms. Sylvia brought Dotty back towards the steps and ditched the noodle for a belt that had floats attached to it. Ms. Sylvia even asked me if Dotty had already been to lessons before. She said Dotty was doing a great job and listening to instructions well. Me being a very humble mother, I of course responded with a big smile and some sort of statement that include the words "gifted, talented, and future Olympian" in it.

After the full 30 minutes and two (yes I said two) full laps in the lap pool I could see Dotty was getting tired and losing her ability to focus. As the session ended Ms. Sylvia asked Dotty to practice putting her face in the water. After five attempts Dotty gave up and wanted out (good thing they don't give out gold medals for that portion of swimming in the Olympics).

We both thanked Ms. Sylvia and headed to the locker room. As I was changing Dotty she said she had a lot of fun at her swim lessons but she didn't like putting her face in the water. As we walked to the car Dotty said again, "I had a lot of fun swimming. Good thing I don't have to go back."

Hmmmm...Let's hope swim lessons are like child birth...you forget the painful parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment