Saturday, September 4, 2010

Birthday Blues...

Little ones have a hard time with "time". Dotty cannot understand how long 30 minutes will take. She does not know what a day, a week, a month, or a year really is. She is still very naive when it comes to "time".

She is learning though. She tries out the words. She has been a kick lately where everything happened "last year" to her. It does not matter if it happened last week, yesterday, or five minutes ago...to her it was "last year".

Dotty's birthday is coming up and she is excited. Of course she wants to open gifts and have cake but she is also just excited about the whole idea of a birthday. She knows it is special and that it is something wonderful.

She is having a hard time though because she feels like her birthday will never come. The main reason for this distress is that everyone else seems to be having birthdays.

Payton's was August 25th, Will's was August 30th, Presley had a party last night but her actual birthday is not until September 7th.

So in Dotty's mind...and as she said "it will never be MY birthday".

I tried to show her on a calendar. I tried to explain it as best I could but nothing really helps.

The sad thing is...I want to push off Dotty's birthdays for as long as possible because while she wants the cake, the presents, and the fun that comes with a birthday I want my little girl to stay little. And with each birthday I know that my little girl is growing up. With each candle that is added to her birthday cake I am reminded once again of my favorite saying...the days are long but the years are short.

No comments:

Post a Comment