Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pioneer Reunion Parade


I grew up in Clay County and with that being said I have attended probably close to 30 Pioneer Reunion Rodeos/Parades. Looking back at my memories, the 3rd weekend in September always seemed to be filled with fun, food, and farm animals (mainly horses and cows).

Pioneer Reunion is so important to me that I took Dotty to her first one ever when she was only 6 days old (you read that right...6 DAYS old...days...yep...days). Let me just say that "Ouch" does not begin to explain how bad i felt on the way home that 95 degree day (lucky for us Pioneer was a little bit cooler than normal).

Friday morning Dotty and I loaded up in Memaw's car with Keri and Presley to head to Henrietta. We got there in plenty of time to see the "McGhee" girls and take their annual "horseback" picture then head to the square to find a good seat.

Note: A "good seat" at the Pioneer Reunion Parade involves shade and a breeze.

We did not find a very good seat.

Thankfully Memaw had packed like we were going to be staying for 2 days not just 2 hours. She had lots of drinks, snacks, and chairs for everyone...including people we did not even know that helped themselves.

When the parade was over...of which I am sure Dotty saw about 5 seconds of it before she started playing in the ice in the ice chest...we headed back to the car. Memaw carried Dotty and held Presley's hand. Both girls of course were furious Memaw was even touching the other one.

Note: Presley and Dotty being only children do not share well. They are even worse when it comes to Memaw.

When we finally got back to the car the girls fought the whole way back to town. This caused me to remember why Dotty is an only child and to think that my mom had a reason for sending me and Jake to Grandma's house so much when we were little.

Once we were back to Wichita Falls both Keri and I agreed to remind each other of all the "fun" we had today. Of course, like childbirth, I am sure a year from now we will think "it wasn't THAT bad" and we will go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment