Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fit Throwing Threes

I thought when Dotty turned three I was going to get to celebrate living through the "terrible twos"...little did I know the "threes" were going to be worse.

Dotty has been throwing so many fits lately and really trying to test my patience. I am not sure if she is doing this because we took away her "bottle-like" sippy cup or what. I know in the past when Dotty got mad or frustrated she would just grab that sippy and a blanket and go to town but now she usually grabs a fist full of air and starts hitting the ground (a few times me...until she found out that was really a bad idea).

The past few evenings I have watched and waited for my child to stop throwing a fit to take a bath, eat her dinner, get pajamas on, get in bed, turn off the tv, go to sleep, etc. Then the mornings continue with fits to get out of bed, get clothes on, get in the car, go in to school, etc.

I try to give Dotty some space but to also let her know that I understand she might still want to play or that she might not be ready to wake up yet or that sometimes I don't want to go to work either but I do, etc. However, I sometimes just have to draw a line in the sand and start counting...1...2...3...and then it is either time out or a pop on the bottom. (Note: I don't like to spank children and I really don't like to spank my own baby. On the other hand, I do realize that sometimes new tactics must be tried.) Thus, last night I told Dotty I was going to spank her if she did not get back in the bed by the time I counted to three. I said, "1...2...do you want to get in bed before I say 3?"

Dotty replied with a loud and vehement "NO!"

So I said, "3...pause...Okay. You had your chance."
Then I picked Dotty up off the floor. Gave her one pop on the tush and put her to bed. Now mind you Dotty has hit me a lot harder than I hit her then but I think the point was Dotty was surprised I actually "spanked" her. While I did not like the entire event I do want Dotty to know that I mean what I say. I hope the next time just the threat of a "spanking" will work...I HOPE!

With all this being said I talked to Dotty's teacher this morning to see if Dotty was misbehaving at school. Mrs. Hall is a very calm and patient woman. She had been doing this for a number of years. She has seen and done it all when it comes to three year olds. She is also very blunt.

Mrs. Hall told me Dotty always wanted to be first. She doesn't like to share. She doesn't always play well with others.

At this point my mind was freaking out so I sort of heard only muffles after that. My heart dropped. I began to think that I was a terrible mother who had raised an awful child.

Then Mrs. Hall did say something that brought me back from freaking out. She said "Dotty is a typical 3 year old."

Oh thank heavens! I almost collapsed in relief.

Then she said..."Yep. The worst years are when your child is 3, in 3rd grade, and 13 years old. So Dotty just turned 3...that means you have a full year of this and two more rough years ahead of you."

Oh joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment